About St James Ethics Centre
St James Ethics Centre is a centre for applied ethics serving as an independent reference point in the ethical landscape.
The Ethics Centre's mission is to encourage and assist individuals and organisations to include the ethical dimension in their daily lives, We seek a (better) world where people have the capacity to do the right thing.
St James Ethics Centre has no political or religious affiliations. Learn more about the Ethics Centre's history and how its name came about.
Ethical framework (our values and principles)
- We are a centre for applied ethics serving as an independent reference point in the ethical landscape.
- Our role is to help inform and enable responsible decision making as part of an examined life.
- Our practices are based on respect for the intrinsic dignity of all persons.
- We have a passionate concern to make a constructive contribution to the world in which we live (even when disturbing conventional wisdom).
- We offer an open forum for dialogue within which thought leadership might emerge – our own included.
- We offer practical support in cooperation with those with whom we work.
- We offer an example of reflective practice and a refinement of the creative spirit that animates the 'art of doing'.
- We aim for excellence in all that we do. Should we fail to meet our own ideals (as we will surely do from time to time) we will acknowledge this and learn.
- We will act in good conscience with moral courage and compassion. And we will not take ourselves too seriously.