What message does the existence of the last surviving monarchy present to the rest of the world? I should've said ruling
Not the only ruling monarchy either:
Here is a list of some of the world's remaining monarchies and their royal heads of state:
- Bahrain, constitutional monarchy: King Hamad bin Isa al-Khalifa.
- Brunei, constitutional sultanate: Sultan and Prime Minister Sir Hassanal Bolkiah.
- Jordan, constitutional monarchy: King Abdullah II.
- Kuwait, constitutional emirate: Sheik Sabah Al-Ahmad Al- Sabah.
- Oman, monarchy: Sultan and Prime Minister Qaboos bin Said.
- Qatar, emirate: Emir Sheik Hamad bin Khalifah al-Thani.
- Saudi Arabia, monarchy: King and Prime Minister Abdullah.
- Swaziland, monarchy: King Mswati III rules Africa's last remaining absolute monarchy.
- United Arab Emirates, federation of emirates: President Sheik Khalifa bin Zayed al-Nahyan.
- Bhutan, constitutional monarchy: King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck, who ceded most of his powers at March democratic elections ending the country's absolute monarchy.
- Belgium, federal parliamentary democracy under a constitutional monarchy: King Albert II.
- Cambodia, multiparty democracy under a constitutional monarchy: King Norodom Sihamoni.
- Commonwealth nations with constitutional monarchies under British Queen Elizabeth II: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Grenada, Jamaica, New Zealand, Papua, Solomon Islands, St. Kitts-Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Tuvalu, U.K.
- Denmark, constitutional monarchy: Queen Margrethe II.
- Japan, constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary government: Emperor Akihito.
- Lesotho, parliamentary constitutional monarchy: King Letsie III.
- Lichenstein, constitutional monarchy: Prince Hans Adam
- Luxembourg, constitutional monarchy: Grand Duke Henri.
- Malaysia, (rotating) constitutional monarchy: Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin.
- Monaco, constitutional monarchy: Prince Albert II.
- Morocco, constitutional monarchy: King Mohamed VI.
- Norway, constitutional monarchy: King Harald V.
- Thailand, constitutional monarchy: King Bhumibol Adulyadej, world's longest-reigning monarch in power since 1946.
- The Netherlands, constitutional monarchy: Queen Beatrix.
- Tonga, constitutional monarchy: King George Tupou V.
- Spain, parliamentary monarchy: King Juan Carlos I.
- Sweden, constitutional monarchy: King Carl XVI Gustaf.
Sources: Reuters, CIA World Factbook